Another couple of problems with database's

Need a new feature in Movienizer? Post your suggestions here.
Bryan
Supporting actor

Another couple of problems with database's

Post by Bryan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:53 am

I've now found, when I open the Blu-Ray database, I'm unable to add anything extra to the MPAA tag. That is to say, it has the default collection (7 ratings), but nothing can be added. However, if I open the DVD database, I've managed to add a number of extra 'ratings' into the MPAA list (see attached). They don't however show up, when opening the Blu-Ray database. This has me confused, because all the settings are the same for both database. So, where is this list located, & why isn't the same list present in both databases's, as apart from the database's, the settings are the same, unfortunately.?
File 295.jpg
File 295.jpg (125.33 KiB) Viewed 9782 times
I have two database's in two separate folder, one for DVD's, the other for Blu-Ray. But these two database's are in two sub-folders of a single folder, which is part of a much larger folder, which I've called 'Videos, Images, Fonts, Icons & More'. After a series of attempts to find a problem, I find it's the fact the program doesn't like (or recognize) the symbol '&'. so when I attempt to change databases through the program, it informs it can't find the database...and that's because it's removed the '&' from the location, and replaced it with an underscore. I know what you're thinking, why not just move them to the main drive and remove the '&'. Because a number of programs are connected to the database for backup purposes, & if I move them, all the settings in the other programs (which do recognize '&'), will have to be changed as well.
This '&' problem also exists when looking up movies, on IMDb, although when the information has been downloaded, I can insert the '&' symbol into the edit screen, and save it. As this program is bias towards the American market (by the use of MPAA only, and although this can be changed, the ratings can't), than as the symbol appears on the standard U.S. keyboard layout, I would have expected it to be already in the default settings, and not need a special request.

Vlad
Developer

Re: Another couple of problems with database's

Post by Vlad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:04 am

MPAA is a pre-defined list, which isn't meant to be edited. However, if you use different download scripts (for example, German ones), they may add values to this list.
ImageImage

Bryan
Supporting actor

Post by Bryan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:42 pm

And these scripts are located where?

Why doesn't the list in one database, appear in the other? Do I have to download these scripts for both. I was under the impression, that the settings remain the same, only the database changes. So, is the rating list in the database somehow, or in the main program? Which brings me to my original question, why are they not present in both database?

Sorry if this sounds a little harsh...but it's only this movie rating thing that stops this being an excellent program, and as you'll notice from previous postings...I do use the ratings a lot. Having almost 3,000, from region 1 - 6...and many, many languages...I find it difficult to understand why all the differences between DVDs are catered for, except ratings which I know is a country thing. But so is language, and region :geek:

Vlad
Developer

Post by Vlad » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:58 am

Rating values are user data. As such, they belong to the database. Depending on your script, you can download different MPAA rating values, which is why different databases must have different ratings.

The easiest way to add a rating that is not there (apart from downloading information about a movie with such rating from the corresponding site) is entering the corresponding value into the "MPAA rating, if not specified" field of the IMDb script ( http://www.movienizer.com/articles/imdb ... part-2.htm ) and downloading information about some movie without MPAA from IMDb.
ImageImage

pvdavidson
Supporting actor

Post by pvdavidson » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:39 am

I also would like to get some extra ratings into the MPAA field as well as get some useless ones out. I understand the need to bias the system towards the US and MPAA but that shouldn't make life so difficult for people who don't live in the land of the long green dollar and who don't wish to use their often inconsistent rating system.

I've tried to add a rating that is not in the MPAA list (can't download from another non-imdb site because there are no scripts for Australian sites because there aren't any and nobody else uses the X18+ and E classifications that I'm trying to add) by entering the corresponding value into the "MPAA rating, if not specified" field of the IMDb script and downloading information about some movie without MPAA from IMDb...but not working for me. All I get is a blank entry in the MPAA field.

I've got all the other required ratings into the system over the years that I've been using Movienizer as imdb have updated their Australian rating info but I can't get rid of the old MPAA values not used here (such as NC, PG-13, R and NRC).

Tried using the attributes renamer plugin but that's no good either. Although MPAA is one of the selectable fields It will not accept any value that is not already in the list...also will not allow a blank, even though that is in the list. Also, even when valid values are selected (R to R18+), it will not make the changes. If this isn't fixable, then the MPAA field should not be selectable in the plugin in the first place.

On a related matter, I've been able to remove the references to MPAA in my Movienizer interface by modifying the English.lng file. I have fair but not expert level of computer skills so if there is any way of getting into a file somewhere and directly editing the MPAA field values, I would love to know about it...I'm happy to hack things provided my skill levels are up to it.