Never be used ?.. Depends if you download data from only one
If you use multiple download scripts you're likely to face multiple entries definitions for the same thing : genre like 'Sci-Fi', 'Sci Fi', 'Science Fiction', etc...
So the best way (i think) is to be able to melt together these synonyms...
This is the purpose of what i call 'Attributes renamer' in JeF's Toolbox (which in your case could also be use to just delete unused entries) :
The ability to clean up attributes (studios, genres, countries, etc...) in one click ! (after having set entire clean up parameters)
Just have a look at the way it works :
- install JeF'S Toolbox plugin (if not yet installed) from here
- From Plugins menu, select JeF's Toolbox
- From Toolbox Menu Bar, select 'Data Tools' > 'Attributes renamer'
- Set your translations (like for Genres attributes, 'Action' -> 'Azione' : this will unlink every movie linked to 'Action' and then link each one to 'Azione')
- optionaly check 'Delete initial values definition' to clear 'Action' genre definition (will remove it from genre check list)
- Hit 'Rename' button to run clean up for current attribute (genres for instance) or 'Rename All' to process all attributes in one click (countries, genres, etc...)
Beware : Always backup first before using such altering data tools...
I wrote it because i'm using several download scripts (french and english ones) and i wanted to have only one entry for countries and genres.
Once all translations are set (what is likely to be done only once), it's easy to clean up all data in one click after updating database with several movies...