A Databasde that caters for Vinyl LP only

Need a new feature in Musicnizer? Post your suggestions here.
Bruno
Passerby

A Databasde that caters for Vinyl LP only

Post by Bruno » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi all, it would be nice if there was a database that one could use for adding info on Vinyl LP collections.
Us Vinyl LP collectors are quite a serious bunch, but the search engines included in Musicnizer seem to cater for the newer formats (CD, Tape etc.)
A small thing, maybe, but is it possible to make the block for the dropdown lists a little wider? When I get involved and do searches, I often click on the 'Download' button by mistake, as one needs a steady hand to get the mouse pointer in the box to change search options.
Attachments
Capture Muz.JPG
Dropdown button
Capture Muz.JPG (9.32 KiB) Viewed 8377 times

kronos1
Passerby

Re: A Databasde that caters for Vinyl LP only

Post by kronos1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Ah my friend...yes I too am a vinyl collector and it's shocking there is so little software catering for vinyl collectors. I have over 2000 vinyl and have tried for ages to find a decent program that caters for vinyl. My friend also has thousands of soul records and struggles to find a decent program for cataloging them. I've found Cattraxx, Musicnizer, Music Label, and collectorz - music collector. They're all pretty much the same (almost identical features) and all have some minor ability to add data for vinyl but you usually have to drill down menus and input info manually.

This is just not feasable for someone to do for thousands of records. I tried but it took me weeks just to reach the end of B category and felt I'd never get it done so scrapped it. I purchased a hand held scanner and tried that with a few programs however most only seem to have the ability to scan ALBUMS. Musicnizer did pick up some of my 12" vinly using the barcode scanner. It showed the picture and vinyl data but when clicking next it just said that it could not find the album.... WTF it just displayed all the data on the previous page. So I assume it will only input LP's and not 12" singles...or I maybe wrong. I have queried this with their support so will see what they say.

However it would be nice to have a modified or version of Musicizer ... maybe Vinylizer. I'm sure there'd be a huge amount of people who would buy something designed specifically for Vinyl collectors. There's definately a hole in the market for it. I recently attended a record fair and speaking to other collectors they all faced the same problems so many have just tried creating their own databases but it is so time consuming inputting eveerything manually. You would think in todays age of technology there'd be something as simple as scanning an LP and having data pulled down from the net to populate the database. Unfortunately it's rather hit or miss for most programs at present.

Vlad
Developer

Post by Vlad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 am

For vinyl, the best choice is the discogs script that is available with the program.
If something was found by barcode, but then you get the "not found' message, you can simply disable the "Download information about the album from the internet" option:
I would also like to use this opportunity to remind you that there is a detailed help available (pressing F1 will open a local copy of it).
ImageImage

kronos1
Passerby

Post by kronos1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Yes this is the option I used. Select barcode and then scan in my items with my handheld barcode scanner. It works well however my problem was that when I scanned a 12" single it would display all the info and even pull down the picture but when clicking the next button it would then display an error saying it could not find the Album. Strange as it recognised what it was and pulled all the information into the program but wouldn't add it to the database. Had the same problem with all 12" except Albums were fine. Hence my previous email to support asking "Does this software only work for ALBUMS". I still haven't had a reply though.

I can't believe no one has made a program for vinyl collectors. It seems such an obvious thing. I've tried many apps but they're all pretty much the same with all the same features. Musicizer is just like "Collectorz - Music Collector" (which really should be called CD Album collector)

Manually inputing over 2000 Vinyl records with all the information just isn't feasable.

Oh well my search goes on. :(

Vlad
Developer

Post by Vlad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:52 pm

kronos1 wrote:I still haven't had a reply though.
:?: There are a couple of replies right in the previous post, and we also sent you replies to your ticket (if you did not receive any, please do check your spam folder or simply login to our ticket system to see them).
ImageImage